Saturday 19 May 2007

The Weekend, so far.... starting with Friday.

Well, since getting this "bolg", I've not actually written a thing, so i thought it about time that I did.

Since I class Friday as being the best day of the week, mostly due to the fact that its the last working day before the weekend, my weekend starts on Friday, and Friday this week, was not like most. Firstly, much to my annoyance, I was moving desks at work along with the other members of the team in which I work. The annoyance was due to only being told "officially" of the move about two days before it happening, however, a definate bonus of this move was that we had to have everything packed into crates by 2pm which meant we could then LEAVE the office! My weekend was about to start early! YAHAY!

So, after irritably moving files into filing cupboards and my other stuff into crates - you really don't realise how much rubbish you can accumilate in one filing drawer and another smaller drawer! Buscuits - been there for at least a year, chocolate - rather not mention that, a half finished jar of coffee - it had gone rock hard at the bottom which should give you a clue to its age, a mouse mat from a project at leat 3 years old, books someone had leant me although i couldn't actually tell you who had leant them or, frankly if they even still worked there.... and some other more random stuff such as, a packet of self adhisive bindi's someone had bought back from a trip to India??? I really thought my arms were about drop off! I was knackered, but I was safe in the knowledge I could leave early!

After getting home at about 2pm - great! I thought I would ring my partents quickly, just to say "hi" - they weren't there. I then did some housework and played on my computer game CivCity Rome for a bit until my mum rang back. It went something like this:
"ohh Hi mum!"
"yes, you rang earlier"
"just wanted to say hello"
"oh, have a word with Joan, you've not spoken to her for ages"

ohhh no!, you now need a bit of backgroud. Joan is the wife of Frank who was a collegue of my dad's before they both retired. They stayed in touch and did the usual, have the occassional dinner etc. Anyway, Frank unfortunately had been ill and had gone into hospital earlier that week which had all been relayed to me by my dad on Tuesday.

The conversation continued.....

"Noo, I don't know what to say to Joan"
the phone went quiet.....
"ohh hello katherine..... how are you?"
my mind went into panic, and I said....
"oh hello, how are you? I've had a great day so far as I've been home most of the afternoon"
"that's nice" said Joan and continued "your mum & dad have been so good to me. Taking me backwards and forwards to the hospital. They are even having everyone back here after the service"...........

What! the alarm bells really rang then..... ohh no, all I had said was what a great day it was.... talk about drop me in it! it transpired that mum and dad had failed to me know that Frank had sadly passed away a couple of days earlier. Mum's words were "oh, haven't we spoken to you since then...." errr, NO, and actually it would have been kind of nice to know that kind of thing before talking to someone about something I didn't know had happened!..... arrghh, what a nightmare.

So, now my day wasn't going as well as planned....





No comments: